MYAS Winter Basketball Update
June 30, 2020
The MYAS is extremely excited to share some exciting announcements and updates that will revolutionize the Minnesota winter community-based youth basketball experience.
- Minnesota Youth Basketball Alliance (MYBA) - A "unified voice" for Minnesota youth basketball!
- Recap of MN Youth Basketball Association Virtual Outreach Sessions - June 23 & 24
- MYBA Committee Report
- Eligibility & Team Composition Committee Update
- Admission Fee Structure
- Return to Play Resources, including the Safe Play: Back to the Hardwood Plan
- Sample Refund Policy
- COVID-19 Waiver Statement
- Rising Stars Basketball Academy & Association Team Development
- Advertising your tournament(s) through the MYBA/MYAS network
Enhancing the Community-Based Winter Basketball Experience
- One unified voice collaborating and working together to enhance community-based basketball.
- A consistent communication portal for all youth basketball associations
- Consistency and Compliance of eligibility, rules, regulations, and team identification across the state.
- MYBA member associations will receive a FREE tournament listing on our Tournament Index (previously $75 per tournament listing). Associations that don't elect to join the MYBA will not have the ability to list their tournament on the MYAS Tournament Index.
- MYBA members will receive a significant per-team discount through Tourney Machine (tournament bracketing platform) that will greatly benefit your association tournament. The fee for MYBA members will be $2 per team – saving you 50% or more PER TEAM.
- Only MYBA member teams would be eligible to compete in the MYAS Grade State Basketball Championships.
- $30 per team for associations that utilize Trusted Coaches
- $35 per team for associations that do not utilize Trusted Coaches
- Becker, Bloomington Jefferson, Chaska, Eastview, Elk River, Fridley, Lakeville North, Mahtomedi, MLK Mpls, New Prague, Osseo-Maple Grove, Owatonna, Princeton, Rogers, Shakopee, Stewartville, Waconia, Wayzata, Woodbury
Click here for more information
June 23 & 24, 2020
MN Youth Basketball Alliance
- Connecting the MYBA Portal, Tourney Machine, and Trusted Rankings will benefit the entire MN youth basketball community.
- In the best interest of all MN youth basketball associations, your association must comply with the MYBA Best Practices (background checks, concussion certification, child safety training, etc.) and the Eligibility and Team Composition Guidelines.
- There has been a slight modification to the Split Family Exception for team composition.
- Roster submission dates have been modified.
- Click here to view the changes.
- Many associations are planning to increase entry fees and eliminate collecting admissions.
- Some tournaments are moving forward with a hybrid of the "no gate fee" or a transition year
- Slightly increase entry fee and only charge adults a reduced admission on Saturday only.
- A major concern for many associations is the need to charge higher player registration fees to cover the increased tournament entry fees.
- The fear is that might get too expensive for some families.
- We have learned that SportsEngine (the website provider that many associations use) has an installment option that associations can use when collecting player registration fees. An example provided to us by an association leader: Association A charges a total of $350 per player to register. Association A was able break that up into 3 installments. Installment 1 ($150) was due at the time of registration; Installment 2 ($100) was due in December; and Installment 3 ($100) was due in January.
- Click here to view an editable document so others can see what fee structure you are using for your tournament(s).
- The MDH has reviewed the Safe Play: Back to the Hardwood plan. Every statewide youth sports organization must have their own sport-specific guidelines in place. With safety being our #1 concern, we are confident that we can return in a safe and healthy way. This document may be subject to change but it will provide our partners, the parent-volunteer youth basketball associations, the ability to move forward with a universal plan for a return to competition for youth basketball in Minnesota. Please keep in mind that ultimately the facility owner's COVID-19 plan will override the gathering numbers and other facility-related guidelines.
- Click here to view the many return to play resources that we have posted on our website. This includes the finalized Safe Play: Back to the Hardwood plan.
- Association leaders were encouraged to create and post their refund policies, as there is still a great deal of uncertainty on how the COVID-19 pandemic will affect the winter basketball season. Be prepared.
- Player Registration refund policy to protect your association in the event that only 6 of the 10 tournaments that are advertised at the beginning of the season end up happening.
- Tournament Entry Fee refund policy as tournaments may get cancelled if there is another spike and the policy on tournaments and game play may change.
- Click here to view the MYAS Refund Policy. You are welcome to adopt it for your association.
- It was recommended that associations add a COVID-19 statement to their existing waivers.
- Click here to view the current MYAS waiver. You are welcome to adopt it for your association.
- Offerings include:
- In-Person and Virtual Delivery
- Pre-Season, In-Season, and Post-Season
- Individual, Team, and Association
- Player, Coaches, and Parents
- Contact Clarence Fields for more information
- Now called the MYBA Trusted Tournament Index.
- The #1 source of advertising for travel basketball tournaments.
- Only MYBA members can advertise their tournament(s) on the MYAS website.
- MYBA Member Associations will no longer need to pay the $75 fee to advertise their tournament(s).
- Association leaders can access the Tournament tab inside of the MYBA portal, where they can post and edit their ad.
- MYBA members can post their tournament information as soon as they become an MYBA member. Join today as some tournaments are already filling up!
- Last year, 225+ tournaments advertised on our website and we expect the same this year.
- Click here to view the tournaments currently listed.