Dec 14, 2020
Dear MN Youth Basketball Alliance (MYBA) Association Leaders:
I hope this email finds you safe and healthy. The MYAS staff, MYBA/MYAS Basketball Board of Advisors, and representatives from the U.S. Council for Athletes' Health (USCAH) created the MYBA Return to Participation Task Force on November 23. This subcommittee, comprised of youth basketball leaders who have implemented and maintained extremely detailed COVID-19 preparedness plans, has been working feverishly during the pause to prepare for a return to the courts for our youth basketball teams.
The MYAS Basketball Board of Advisors is comprised of 25 current or former youth basketball association leaders throughout Minnesota. This board has two goals:
- To provide a safe and healthy return to participation for youth basketball players; and
- To provide assurances to Governor Walz, his cabinet, and the MN Department of Health (MDH) that we, the Minnesota youth basketball community, are committed to ensuring appropriate safety measures and reporting mechanisms as created by the MYBA Return to Participation Task Force.
Through communication with leaders at the state level, the MYAS and members of the Task Force have gained a better understanding of the health and safety measures that must be in place for a return to participation. A healthy and safe return to participation will include specific requirements that were not previously in place prior to the pause.
One of the main areas of emphasis moving forward is the implementation of a consistent and universal COVID compliance process. This requirement will ensure all COVID-related situations will be handled appropriately and will be reported to the applicable persons/entities at the local and state levels.
The Task Force has also identified other areas of emphasis which lead to the development of universal guiding principles and categories that will meet, and often exceed, the state’s standards. Simply put, they have built a roadmap for a healthy and safe return to participation for all MYBA member associations.
Below are the guiding principles that have been developed for the MYBA Return to Participation Manual.
- Universal COVID-19 policies and procedures to be implemented as requirements for MYBA member Associations
- All MYBA member Associations must agree to 100% compliance with the new RTP requirements.
- Attestation Pledges for all participants, parents, and coaches
- Each Association pledges to become 100% COVID compliant
- Non-compliant Associations will not be allowed to participate in MYBA association basketball tournaments or participate in the MYAS Grade State Championships
- Associations will demonstrate compliance on a regular basis
- Submit report every two weeks
- Non-compliance will be reviewed by MYBA committee
Our shared goal is to get the kids back to the court and we are requesting everyone’s cooperation to accomplish a return to participation in youth basketball.
- All MYBA members associations are required to identify their COVID Compliance Manager (CCM) in the “Board Member" section of the MYBA Portal. Please complete this task no later than Tuesday, December 15, 2020.
- The CCM will:
- ensure their association is fostering compliance of the MYBA Return to Participation Manual;
- communicate with CCMs from other associations regarding exposures and compliance;
- submit bi-weekly data to the MYBA COVID-19 Tracker through the MYBA Portal in the form of numbers, not names.
- The MYBA Return to Participation Task Force will release the reviewed and final draft of the MYBA Return to Participation Manual prior to December 18, 2020.
- This will provide clear guidance for what is required and what is recommended for a return to participation.
- It will create consistency and a universal return to participation.
- It will unify Minnesota youth basketball for a safe return to participation.
- It will foster compliance of guidance set forth by MDH and the state of Minnesota.
- MYBA Return to Participation Acknowledgement
- Each MYBA member association will be asked to view and agree to the acknowledgement.
- It creates the uniformity that state leaders have requested.
- It is our expectation that every MYBA member association will agree to and comply with the acknowledgement.
Please refer to the attached MYBA Checklist: A Framework for Return to Sport from COVID -19 & MYBA Return to Participation Manual Table of Contents for more information.
Thank you for your time and dedication to youth basketball. Together, we will safely get our youth basketball athletes back to the court.
Sent on Behalf of,
Dawson Blanck, MYAS Executive Director
Jeremy Innes, MYAS Associate Director
Rich Penick, MYAS Associate Director
Dr. Craig Perry, US Council for Athlete’s Health
MYBA/MYAS Basketball Board of Advisors
MYBA Return to Participation Task Force