MYAS and Youth 1st team up to create a Conduct 1st Environment
MYAS and Youth 1st formed a strategic partnership in March of 2019, by launching a sportsmanship initiative during the 2019 Grade State Basketball Championships in March and the Gopher State Baseball Tournament of Champions in July. We were excited to recognize players, coaches and parents from basketball and baseball associations around the state of Minnesota, for their positive conduct and good sportsmanship during the MYAS premier tournaments. Congratulations again for emphasizing the importance of how you play the game.
During the Youth 1st Team Awards presentations, we mentioned an excerpt from Joe Ehrmann’s book - InSideOut Coaching, where Joe talks about the definition of competition:
“Competition is not defined by winning or losing, but by the degree to which all competitors realize their fullest potential.”
MYAS and Youth 1st would like to continue this momentum by bringing a Conduct 1st Environment to a gym or field near you. The focus has to remain on the kids, and the lessons learned through positive competition, not the negativity of unsportsmanlike behavior of players, coaches, and spectators that tends to creep into youth events.
Conduct 1st Environment
Create a Conduct 1st Environment during your home tournament by having MYAS/Youth 1st work with your Tournament Director and Officials to implement these simple steps:
- Send emails to each team prior to the Tournament, highlighting the emphasis on Conduct and Sportsmanship. Teams will be asked to share these emails with their coaches and parents, encouraging them to support this effort! (MYAS/Youth 1st will provide customized content)
- Display signage at your tournament site (concessions, admissions gates, high traffic areas). Provide teams with handouts at check in, and to fans at admissions gates. (MYAS/Youth 1st provided)
- The referee will hand a Pocket Reminder card to the head coach from each team during the pre-game meeting, reminding them of the emphasis on Conduct and Sportsmanship. Coaches will be asked to share the card with all coaches, parents and fans. (MYAS/Youth 1st provided)
- After EVERY GAME, the referees will vote on the official score sheet for the team or teams that display positive conduct and good sportsmanship. The referees may select one, both, or none for each game played. (MYAS/Youth 1st official score sheets are available)
- Teams with exemplary scores for positive conduct and good sportsmanship will receive special recognition through the Youth 1st Team Awards program in the weeks following the tournament. There will be several group recognition opportunities for teams to choose from in January, February and March 2020, followed by Press Releases, website and social media coverage.